Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Stones for Soup ? Or Showers of Blessing ?

By the end of my court hearing last Friday my mother’s presence was strong with me because one of her favorite gospel songs rang through my head. It’s called SHOWERS OF BLESSING and the chorus goes:

“Showers of blessing,
showers of blessing we need,
mercy drops round us are falling,
but for the showers we plead."

I think we got some mercy drops at the end of the court day on Friday. Not showers, but at least some mercy drops. Why? Because the judge reserved her decision on whether or not I will be allowed to take my case to trial. That she reserved is in itself a bit hopeful. It means it wasn’t just a slam dunk for Kevin Falcon, Kiewit Sons Co, The Corporation of West Vancouver and the West Vancouver Police who thought it would only take a few minutes to have my case thrown out.

Thank you, dear friends and gentle people. Your presence in the court room was wonderful, the good wishes of people who couldn’t come but who would have liked to, and especially I want to thank the people who contributed affidavits. It’s intimidating to be up against experienced Lawyers from these powerful offices when one is representing oneself. I couldn’t do it without the moral support you people have so unfailingly given me. And with it all I think we succeeded in getting across to the judge that my case is one of public interest as it profoundly affects the way we as citizens are allowed to protest the destruction of the environment. And perhaps, along with other issues I raised, were strong enough legally to convince the judge to allow my case to go to trial.

I’ll let everybody know as soon as I know whether the mercy drops are all there is, or if showers of blessing are on the way, or whether it will be stones for soup. I don’t want to get my hopes up to high. But I can’t help it.

Betty Krawczyk

Blog: http://bettysearlyedition.blogspot.com/

Books: http://www.booksofbettyk.com/

For more information contact
Betty Krawczyk
betty_krawczyk@shaw.ca
or
Monika Sheardown
monika@greendreams.com

No comments:

Post a Comment